Reuters © Men are silhouetted against a video screen with an Apple logo as they pose with an Apple iPhone 4 smartphone in this photo illustration taken in the central Bosnian town of Zenica, May 17, 2013. REUTERS/Dado ...
MADRID (AFP) - Spain's top department store chain El Corte Ingles must restructure five billion euros ($6.5 billion) of debt, the company said Tuesday, citing economic conditions as Spaniards shop less in the recession.El Corte Ingles, whose green logo is a familiar sight on Spanish high streets, employs 98,000 people, selling a variety of products including clothes, food and travel ...
By Alistair BarrSAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - PayPal, the online payment operation owned by eBay Inc, announced a new partnership on Tuesday with RadioShack Corp that will introduce PayPal into all of the electronics retailer's stores starting this month.PayPal has been testing a way for customers of smoothly store Jamba Juice to order ahead using PayPal's smartphone application and pick ...
Microsoft Corp has given a first look at its new game console, hoping the newly named Xbox One will build on a solid core of gamer fans and become a hub for living room entertainment. The third-generation console, coming eight years after the Xbox 360, was unveiled by games unit chief Don Mattrick at an event at the software company's campus near ...
Image via CrunchBase Amazon's lofty valuation is not supported by the fundamentals of the company. The belief that Internet retail is or will be more profitable than traditional retail is untrue. Amazon is in a competitive, low margin business that cannot justify the profit growth implied in its valuation. Amazon's after-tax ...
Donnie Darko [DVD]
The titular character of 26-year-old Richard Kelly's feature debut Donnie Darko is a fascinating enigmaa troubled suburban teen with dark eyes and a morbid sense of humor who may or may not be schizophrenic. Haunted by strange visions of a six-foot rabbit with a twisted metallic face and obsessed with questions about time travel and the ability to see one's future, Donnie (Jake Gyllenhaal) ... ...
Apple executives defended the company's tax strategy on Capitol Hill Tuesday, claiming that it pays one of the highest effective tax rates of any major ...
If the housing market is really on the mend, that is undeniably a good sign for the broader economy and the stock market. Guess what? It's increasingly looking like the housing rebound is, to pull a famous Seinfeld phrase, real and spectacular. Home ...
Investors seemed pleased with the progress, sending shares of Herbalife up sharply in afternoon trading. Herbalife has been in the spotlight for several months, after hedge fun ...
Investors are eager to hear what he has to say about the central bank's stimulus policies, which have been a big driver of the stock rally. A number of Fed officials ...
The Federal Reserve needs to go back to the drawing board to plan its strategy for winding down its controversial stimulus program, New York Federal Reserve President William Dudley suggested ...
On the record
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Beach Rotana Hotel & Towers
I could not find the Web site for this hotel, and it was not listed on any of the Internet ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Herald GlobeHerald Globe: Breaking International News Site
There are a small number of news Web sites, and even a lesser number of newspapers providing world news coverage. A number of publications, particularly those associated with the cable TV networks, have a focus or a perspective from their country of origin.
Our objective is to provide an independent world news service that covers what is happening in the world from an international perspective.
Our top stories are carefully selected, edited, headlined and ranked in accordance with their overall importance from a global point of view. We also aim to bring you stories not covered elsewhere, that meet the test of global importance, and are ranked accordingly. A coal mining disaster in the US that kills four for example, would be a major news story in many world newspapers, and on the major television and cable networks, whereas a coal mining disaster in China with say 200 deaths could go unreported. For us the situation would be reversed and the China story would far outweigh the other.
We have no geographical leanings, simply an earnest desire to cover international news for the world community. Herald Globe is an online newspaper that brings you all the other features you would expect in any newspaper the world over, including dedicated coverage of Europe, Asia, the United States, the Middle East, South America and the Caribbean.
Weather forecasts, business reports, the latest in the financial markets. We cover breaking sports news, consisting of the stories making headlines on a global scale. Interactive news polls are also regularly provided.
For world news from an independent point of view, make it every day to the Herald Globe. And if you cannot make it to us, let us come to you. Register for our daily delivery of major world news headlines by email.
Russia will decommission and scrap two of the world's largest submarines by 2018, a defence industry source has said.
The Severstal and the Arkhangelsk, both Project 841 (Typhoon-class) ballistic-missile submarines, are based at Severodvinsk on the White Sea. They will be withdrawn from the Navy by this year-end and will begin to be dismantled.
"This process is to be completed before 2018-2020 at the latest," the source said, adding the boats are outdated and it is too costly to modernise them.
A third submarine of this class, the Dmitry Donskoy, has been modernised as a test platform for Russia's new Bulava submarine-launched ballistic missile It will remain in service in that capacity for some time yet, the source said.
Six Typhoon-class submarines entered service with the Soviet Navy in the 1980s, and remain the largest submarines ever built. Three have already been scrapped.
- Enhanced contract payments for Australian cricket eves
- 2018 World Cup infrastructure inadequate
- China to host maiden Royal Trophy golf meet
- Hyundai Motor commences Trophy Tour for ICC Champions Trophy 2013
- Sven-Goran Eriksson to reveal sexy secrets in tell-all book
- EU leaders look to end Apple-style tax avoidance schemes
- Top Spain store chain juggles 5 bn euros debt
- PayPal to be in all RadioShack stores starting in May
- Microsoft unveils next Xbox games console
- Amazons Thin Margins Do Not Support Sky-High Valuation
- Moscow safer than New York Russian minister
- Shocking lawsuit claims NY high schools admissions policy racially biased
- US charges three NYU researchers for taking bribes from Chinese company
- US senators approve immigration changes requiring fingerprint system at 30 airports
- Obama admin to hand over some CIA drone operations to Pentagon
- Ignoring warnings North Korea continues to fire projectiles
- India and China agree to boost trade and paper over border differences
- Former Pakistani military dictator Musharraf granted bail
- Burberry reports sales growth on strength of Asian market
- Greenback gains ground in Asia trade
- Spain not yet on Brazils level Iniesta
- Autopsy reveals Argentine ex-dictator died of heart attack
- Paraguay becomes South Americas used car paradise
- Teen Dies of Cancer After Touching Millions With Song
- Past Differences Hamper US-Russian Efforts to Help Syria
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Herald Globe headlines delivered to your inbox.
- US Executive Recognizes Cuba as an Important Fishing Destination
- U.S. Researchers Participate in Colloquium About Hemingway in Cuba
- Cuba lifts import ban on domestic appliances
- US envoy in Cuba engages critics on and offline
- Xi to visit Latin America and the Caribbean